I am a fan of anything lemon-flavored.
I have a confession to make; my best friend and I devoured a lemon sponge pie ourselves one day during a particularly intense “girls’ day” together (we were both going through a difficult period in our lives and we rarely got to see each other in person so we really “let loose”). We never felt one pang of guilt for the over-indulgence and it was a lot less expensive than professional therapy!
A tart-sweet lemon filling is topped with crumbs that, as it bakes, turns into a layered pie very much like the molasses filling and crumbs do in a Shoofly pie.
The eggs in this recipe cause the filling to “puff” slightly as it bakes. It is normal for this pie to “sink” in the middle as it cools.
I particularly like the contrast of the smooth filling and the crunchy crumbs. To keep it simple and to be kind to my fussy arthritic hands, I use a refrigerated rolled pie crust, but you can use your favorite homemade pastry crust recipe.
I always sit my unbaked pie crust on a baking sheet, then fill it. The baking sheet makes it much easier to transfer the pie in and out of the oven and catches any spill-overs.
My best friend passed away long before I discovered this pie, but I am pretty sure she would agree that this one would be “therapeutic”, too. I so wish I could have the days back where we sat across from each other, fork in hand, and soothed each other’s souls.
Lemon Crumb PieCourse: DessertsCuisine: PA DutchDifficulty: Easy
Sweet-tart lemon filling topped with crumbs, this pie is east to bake.
Pastry for a single crust pie
- Lemon Filling
2 eggs, well beaten
1 cup granulated sugar
zest and juice of 1 fresh lemon
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 cup hot water (not boiling)
3/4 cup all purpose flour
pinch of salt
1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick), room temperature
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Fit a 9 inch deep dish pie plate with your favorite pastry crust; flute the edges as desired. Set aside in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Make the lemon filling
- In a bowl, add the 1 cup granulated sugar and cornstarch and whisk together. Add the eggs and beat the mixture well. Beat in the lemon juice and zest until well blended. Stir in the hot water and set aside to cool while you prepare the crumbs.
- To another mixing bowl, add the crumb ingredients and work into fine crumbs using a fork, pastry blender, or your fingers. Set aside.
- Pour the lemon filling into the pie shell; sprinkle the crumbs evenly over the top.
- Bake 375F until set. about 38 to 40 minutes. Cool completely before cutting.
- Adapted from The Call Newspapers Cookbook