Almost every month, someone contacts me asking for a low carb/diabetic friendly version of a particular recipe they know and love. With the holidays coming up, I thought this might be a good recipe for carb conscious readers to make for themselves, their family, or to contribute to a family dinner or potluck. The folks who longingly by-pass the dessert table other times will thank you! (I am also posting the traditional version of this Cranberry Cheesecake Pie, too.)
I like to use Swerve brand sugar substitute in several of my recipes and in cooking when using sugar substitutes. It is available in three versions: granulated, confectioner’s. and brown. It’s zero-calorie and normally does not effect blood glucose or insulin levels. It measures like sugar and also browns and caramelizes just like sugar. (Disclaimer: Every individual is different. ALWAYS check with your physician before making any dietary changes! This recipe and the information contained within do not constitute medical advice.)
This dessert is impressive baked in a tart pan with a removable bottom, but can also be made in a regular pie pan. Lightly grease the pan of your choice (even non-stick pans) before pressing in the crust – it keeps the crust made from almond and coconut flours from sticking to the pan and makes serving easier.
This recipe was developed using Swerve products and I have not tested it with any other sugar substitute and cannot comment on whether it will be successful using any other product (like Splenda Granulated).
Carb Conscious Cranberry Cheesecake TartCourse: DessertsCuisine: Special Dietary NeedsDifficulty: Intermediate
A tasty low carb dessert for holiday gatherings (and everyday).
- Cranberry Sauce
2 cups cranberries (fresh or frozen)
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup Swerve, Granular
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 3/4 cup almond flour
1/2 cup Swerve, Granulated
2 Tablespoons coconut flour
1/4 tsp salt
7 Tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup chopped pecans (optional)
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup Swerve, Confectioners
1 large egg, room temperature
2 Tablespoons whipping cream, room temperature
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cranberry Filling
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, bring the cranberries and water to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until cranberries have popped and can be easily mashed, about 7 minutes. Stir in Swerve and lemon zest and mash up a little. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the almond flour, Swerve, coconut flour, and salt. Stir in the butter and vanilla extract until dough begins to clump together. Reserve 1/2 cup of the mixture.
- Press the remaining crust mixture into the bottom and up the sides of a lightly greased 9-inch pie plate or tart pan. Bake 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and Swerve together until well combined. Beat in the egg, cream, and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Spread cheesecake mixture into crust. Dollop with cranberry sauce and swirl lightly with a knife. Stir pecans, if using, into reserved crust mixture and sprinkle over filling.
- Cover lightly with foil and bake 25 minutes, then remove foil and bake another 10 minutes, until cheesecake filling is set.
- Remove and let cool, then refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.
- Recipe courtesy Swervesweet.com