As the sufferer of a case of RA (Rheumatoid Arthritis) that keeps progressing much to my chagrin, I find that my lack of dexterity winds up in spilled or poorly measured ingredients. My right hand is dominant, so I use that to lift and steady items. My left is twisted from the RA and has poor gripping ability.
When trying to measure out small quantities of liquid ingredients, my glass measuring cups do not have markings for less than 1/4 cup (4 Tablespoons) so I try to pour liquids into a metal measuring spoon. This inevitably results in splashes, over-pours, and a mess in general.
My answer to these issues was pretty well solved by the OXO Good Grips Angled Mini Measuring Cup. I was devastated when I realized I left two of them behind in our recent relocation and promptly purchased another from Amazon as soon as I got settled into my new kitchen.
As you can see in the photo below, my left hand is twisted and my middle finger is permanently bent in the position you see. This makes holding a tiny handle of a measuring spoon nearly impossible. But the OXO Angled Mini Measuring Cup fits my hand and allows me to get a good grip, giving me back the use of that hand when measuring ingredients.
My previous OXO mini measuring cups were well used, cleaned in the dishwasher, and still had all the markings clearly visible on them. As I get used to a “new normal” in cooking, these little measuring cups for liquid are on my “must have” list.
More Reasons Why I Love This Little Cup
- The angled surface lets you read measurements from above but measurements are also on the side.
- Reading the measurement from the top eliminates the need to repeatedly fill and adjust.
- It features standard and metric markings in tablespoons (up to 4 T), ounces, and milliliters.
- Easy to read red markings.
- Dishwasher safe and BPA free
- OXO stands by their products with a guarantee.