“Tis the season for potlucks and picnics and being the good Coal Cracker that I am, pierogi are always at the top of my list, but home-made is too labor intensive for me since my disability came along coupled with the excess heat of the summer kitchen, so I often opt for the easy casserole version with all the familiar flavors of potato and cheese pierogi without the labor-intensive and time-consuming work. To really cut down on time, I use left-over mashed potatoes in this recipe! Super-easy, fast to assemble, and only 5 ingredients!
Easy Pierogi CasseroleCourse: EntreesCuisine: Eastern European, Coal RegionDifficulty: Easy
The flavors of traditional potato and cheese pierogi in an easy-to-make layered casserole that starts with lasagna noodles and left-over mashed potatoes.
16 ounces lasagna noodles, cooked according to package directions, drained and laid out on towels to dry
6 cups mashed potatoes
3 Tablespoons dried minced onion
18 slices processed American cheese
1/2 cup butter sliced in 15 thin slices
- Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Lay 3 to 4 lasagna noodles in one layer, overlapping slightly as needed, in the bottom of the baking dish.
- Spread 2 cups of mashed potatoes evenly over the noodles.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of minced onion over the mashed potatoes.
- Layer 6 slices of American cheese and 5 thin slices of butter.
Repeat these layers twice more, for a total of three layers.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 25 – 30 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- If you prefer, skip using the dried minced onion and instead, brown a finely chopped medium onion in some butter until soft, then layer this on to of the potatoes.