I love this pie and the recipe is a classic that has been around for a long time. It is so quick and easy you will find yourself wanting to experiment with other gelatin flavors; lemon, lime, orange, raspberry, peach – use your imagination.
You can top it with additional whipped topping and garnish with fruit or serve it as is. You can choose to add fruit to the filling or not, it is up to you. If adding fruit, use a cup of small fruits or chopped pieces; make sure it is dry (fresh blueberries) or well drained (chopped canned peaches).
This is a very family friendly recipe, quick to make, and kids love it. This is a 3 or 4 ingredient dessert that is a welcomed light ending to any meal and is especially refreshing as the weather warms here in the Coal Region as spring approaches. Try it frozen in the hot summer months.
Cool and Creamy Jello PieCourse: DessertsCuisine: Coal Region, RetroDifficulty: Easy
This is a 3 or 4 ingredient dessert that is a welcomed light ending to any meal.
2 cups fresh strawberries, divided
2/3 cup boiling water
1 pkg. (3 oz.) JELL-O Strawberry Flavor Gelatin
1/2 cup cold water
1 tub (8 oz.) Cool Whip Topping, thawed
1 ready-to-use reduced-fat graham cracker or shortbread crust (6 oz.)
- Slice 1 cup strawberries; refrigerate for later use. Chop remaining strawberries; set aside.
- Add boiling water to gelatin mix; stir 2 min. until completely dissolved.
- Add enough ice to cold water to measure 1 cup. Add to gelatin; stir until slightly thickened. Remove any un-melted ice.
- Whisk in Cool Whip. Stir in chopped strawberries.
- Refrigerate 20 to 30 min. or until mixture is very thick and will mound. Spoon into crust.
- Refrigerate pie 6 hours or until firm.
- Experiment with other gelatin flavors; lemon, lime, orange, raspberry, peach – use your imagination.
DID YOU MAKE THIS?
Snap a picture and tag @acoalcrackerinthekitchen on Instagram so visitors can see it!