When it comes to “quick and easy”, I am all for it! This appetizer is a family and crowd pleaser, simple to put together, and great to use as a last minute snack or to take to a pot-luck. For decades, during the hectic holiday season, I always kept the ingredients for this luscious spread in my fridge and pantry. More than once it as been a sanity saver when unexpected visitors arrive.
The original recipe in my files calls for using some commercially prepared chili sauce, but I much prefer using my own made cocktail sauce or a good quality commercially prepared cocktail sauce of your choice. I have also used commercially prepared chili sauce and added a dab of grated horseradish to it before spreading. I just happen to like the added kick of horseradish in this spread. The choice is yours! I serve this with a buttery cracker or toast points.
Crab Spread AppetizerCourse: AppetizersCuisine: Coal RegionDifficulty: Easy
12 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 Tablespoons mayonnaise
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 small onion, grated
dash of garlic salt
1- 12 ounce bottle commercially prepared Cocktail or Chili sauce
6 ounce can crab meat
- In a medium bowl, blend by hand softened cream cheese, Worcestershire sauce, mayonnaise, lemon juice, grated onion, and garlic salt until well mixed and smooth.
- Spread this mixture on a shallow decorative/serving plate (about 9 or 10 inches in diameter).
- Pour the bottle of cocktail or chili sauce evenly over the top of the cream cheese mixture.
- Drain the crab meat, then sprinkle it evenly over the top of the cocktail/chili sauce layer.
- Sprinkle the crab layer lightly with dried or chopped fresh parsley.
- Chill well before serving.