As a Dutchie and Coal Cracker, I never met a noodle or dough ball I didn’t like. Add cheese to the noodles or dough, and I am in 7th heaven. This casserole does that and, needless to say, is one of my favorites. Layers of noodles, cheese, and lightly sweetened tomato/burger mix come together in a dish sure to become a family favorite. A pot-luck friendly, travels well recipe, it is also budget friendly, kid-friendly, and can be prepared ahead of baking time. I prefer Velveeta wrapped slices for their melting quality in this recipe, but you can substitute another brand or use deli sliced “American cheese”. I also use medium width noodles in this dish so the sauce and cheese mixes through well.
I pair this with Pa Dutch Pepper Cabbage and it becomes the ultimate comfort food meal for me!
NOTE: When draining noodles after cooking, I do not drain them perfectly dry. I leave them slightly damp so that the undiluted cream of chicken soup mixes nicely with them. SLIGHTLY damp — not dripping!
Pa. Dutch Yum-A-SettaCourse: EntreeCuisine: Pa. Dutch, Coal RegionDifficulty: Intermediate
Noodles and ground beef in a creamy tomato and cheese sauce made easy using condensed soups.
1 – 1/2 pounds hamburger
salt and pepper to taste
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
1 can condensed tomato soup, undiluted (10-3/4 ounce can)
1 can cream of chicken soup, undiluted (10-1/2 ounce can)
12 ounces egg noodles
12 slices individually wrapped processed (Velveeta or equivalent deli sliced)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Brown hamburger and onion with salt, pepper. Drain off excess grease.
- Add brown sugar, and undiluted tomato soup to the meat mixture and stir well.
- Meanwhile, cook the egg noodles according to package directions; drain. Add undiluted cream of chicken soup to the noodles and mix.
- Butter a 13″ x 9″ casserole dish.
- Layer 1/2 of the noodle mixture in the bottom of the pan, top with 6 slices cheese layered across the top, then top that with 1/2 of the hamburger mixture. Repeat the layering with the remaining noodle mixture, 6 cheese slices, and hamburger mixture.
- Bake at 350 for 30 – 35 minutes.
DID YOU MAKE THIS?
Snap a picture and tag @acoalcrackerinthekitchen on Instagram so visitors can see it!