This peanut butter pie is created from an easy to cook, homemade pudding filling, sprinkled with layers of super-easy to make peanut butter nuggets. It is not the typical cream cheese based PB pie filling. Now, I am a true lover of anything cream cheese, but this pie holds its own without it. This pie is often found in diners and restaurants throughout the Pa Dutch and Coal Regions.
You can top it with freshly whipped cream, purchased whipped cream, or whipped topping. You also have several options for crusts for your creation – ready-made graham cracker, refrigerated or frozen regular pie crust, your own favorite traditional pie crust recipe, or even ready made chocolate cookie crust!. For added embellishment when serving, garnish with chocolate syrup or a ribbon of hot fudge if you want a little something “extra”.
Pennsylvania Dutch Peanut Butter Nugget PieCourse: DessertCuisine: Pa. Dutch, Coal RegionDifficulty: Intermediate
4 cups cold whole milk, divided
1/2 cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 large egg yolks
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
2/3 cup white sugar
1 cup powdered sugar (confectioner’s sugar)
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1 (9-inch) baked pie crust of your choice
2 cups whipped cream or whipped topping of your choice
- In medium sized bowl whisk together 1 cup milk, cornstarch, salt, and egg yolks. Set aside.
- In a medium sauce pan, add remaining 3 cups milk, butter and sugar. Whisk constantly over medium low heat until the mixture is scalding, not bubbling or boiling.
- Slowly whisk in milk/cornstarch/egg/salt mixture and cook over medium heat until thickened but do not boil.
- Remove the mixture from the heat, cover surface directly with plastic wrap which will prevent a skin from forming on the surface of the pudding mixture. Stir every 5 – 10 minutes. The mixture will continue to thicken slightly more as it cools.
- While the pudding is cooling make the peanut butter nuggets as follows: In the bowl, add powdered sugar and peanut butter. Using an electric mixer, mix on medium speed until small peanut butter nuggets start to form. If the mixture is too dry to form little balls, simply add a few DROPS of water, mix again, and larger nuggets will form.
- After pudding is cool assemble the pie as follows: Add half the peanut butter nuggets to the bottom of the pie shell.
- Top with all of the pudding.
- Add HALF the remaining peanut butter nuggets to the top of the pudding leaving remaining nuggets for garish on the cream topping.
- Top with whipped cream spreading evenly across the top up to the edges of the crust. Sprinkle whipped cream with the remaining peanut butter nuggets.
- Chill thoroughly to set before cutting.
- Store in refrigerator.