In the Coal Region, a local company made hot bologna and it seemed like there was a jar of it at every corner bar and at every fire company (hosey) bar.
Fire companies in the coal region are mainly volunteer and have bars and social activities for company members. It is not an unusual sight to see someone seated at the bar with a cold glass of Yuengling Lager and a piece of hot bologna in front of them!
If you can get ring bologna where you live, you can easily make your own hot bologna for a trip down memory lane in Schuylkill County.!
Homemade Coal Region Hot BolognaCourse: Snacks, AppetizerCuisine: Coal RegionDifficulty: Easy
1 ring of bologna (with or without garlic)
1 Tablespoon crushed red pepper (the more the hotter/spicier!)
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups white vinegar
3/4 cup water
- Remove skin from ring bologna.
- Cut ring of bologna in pieces 2 to 4 inches long, then slice lengthwise in half.
- Place in a large glass jar. Add crushed red pepper and salt.
- Mix white vinegar and water. Pour over bologna.
- Shake well, place lid on jar and refrigerate.
- Allow to set for several days for flavors to develop.
- Store in refrigerator. . Keeps a long time!
DID YOU MAKE THIS?
Snap a picture and tag @acoalcrackerinthekitchen on Instagram so visitors can see it!