It’s fair season and nothing says Pa Dutch and Coal Region like waiting in line for a hot, sweet, powder-y funnel cake.
If you want the flavor but not the fuss of frying a full-sized funnel cake at home when you get a craving, these FUNNEL CAKE BITES are just the answer.
Douse ’em with powdered sugar, drizzle with honey, dip in powdered sugar glaze, chocolate syrup, or dunk in blueberry, strawberry or caramel syrup.
Funnel Cake BitesCourse: Snacks, DessertCuisine: Coal Region, Pa. DutchDifficulty: Intermediate
1 egg, beaten
2 tablespoons canola oil
4 tablespoons butter, melted
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 tablespoons granulated sugar (optional)
2 cups milk
2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
Canola oil, for frying
powdered sugar and dipping sauces of your choice
- In a large bowl whisk together egg, oil, butter, vanilla extract, milk and sugar (if using)
- Gently stir in flour, baking powder and salt. Stir until flour is combined. Batter will and should be a little bit lumpy.
- Heat oil on med-high in a deep skillet. When oil is hot, do a test by dropping a bit of batter into the oil. (The batter should begin to fry calmly instantly. If it smokes, sputters or browns quickly the oil is too hot)
- Use a mini ice cream scoop and scoop out the batter and drop it into the oil. (work quickly and be careful not to crowd the batter) Fry until golden on both sides.
- Remove from oil and place a paper-towel lined plate.
- Sprinkle generously with powdered sugar.
- Serve hot.
DID YOU MAKE THIS?
Snap a picture and tag @acoalcrackerinthekitchen on Instagram so visitors can see it!